Chennai Mathematical Institute is a centre of excellence for teaching and research in the mathematical sciences. Situated in the outskirts of the cultural hub that is Chennai, the college is known for providing exemplary education to its students.
The research groups in Mathematics and Computer Science at CMI are among the best known in the country. CMI graduates have gone on to pursue further studies at the best academic institutes in India and around the world. Despite emphasising excellence in academics, we ensure that our students stay in touch with culture by regularly organising events as part of our CMI Arts Initiative. Many leading artists have graced our stage and given our students a more wholesome experience, filling the gaping hole that pure academia leaves. Furthering on this, we hope to extend our vision through Tessellate.
Address: H1, SIPCOT IT Park, Siruseri, Chennai - 603103
Please use the map below to locate us. If it fails to load, use this link.
When Chai Met Toast
Check out our facebook page here
the faces behind tessellate:
Scholastic Test of Excellence in Mathematical Sciences
They do say that competition is healthy.
Here's a chance to display your aptitude for the noblest of all sciences. We invite you to test your skills at the first online contest in three disciplines - Math, Physics and Computer Science.
The prize at stake - an offer to take part in a camp at our beloved campus and immerse yourself in the contemporary mathematical realm. We hope to provide an edifying experience!
The S.T.E.M.S Camp will be held on 9-11th Feb. The list of selected participants can be found HERE.
- The entire contest will occur online in two parts for school and college students. The dates for the contest are 13th and 14th of January, 2018.
- Both parts will take place according to the following schedule: On 13th, the Computer Science exam shall start at 12:00 PM and submissions will be accepted till 3:00 PM. After an hour's break, the Physics exam shall begin at 4:00 PM and submissions must be handed in before 7:00 PM. The Mathematics exam is to be held on the 14th. We shall be uploading the question papers at 12:00 PM, and the submission of answers must be made online by 6:00 PM.
- For students who are writing MTRP: For students of class 9 and 11 who are appearing for MTRP, conducted by ISI, we understand that you might want to appear for both the examinations, and to avoid a clash with STEMS (school mathematics), we have decided that we can give those people a different time slot for writing STEMS. Please contact us in the given email IDs if you are interested in writing both exams, and we will give you a revised time slot fot STEMS Mathematics. Note that this will only be done for students who are writing MTRP and STEMS Math together, upon showing appropriate evidence.
- The dates and times are subject to change. We will inform the participants in case such a change takes place.
- The event is divided into two sections: Section A is for students from 8th to 12th grade. Section B is for Undergraduate and Postgraduate students. The question paper, needless to say, shall be different for the two sections.
- The question paper shall consist of 20 Multiple Choice Questions and 6 Subjective Questions. The question papers shall be mailed to the registered participants exactly at the starting time.
- Students are allowed to use books and electronic resources to solve the problems. However, your solutions must be strictly original. There might be an interview after the selection is made. In case of any discrepencies, the answer sheet of the student in question will be invalidated.
- The solutions have to be submitted in the form of scanned copies or clear photographs of the answer sheets. Any electronic formats will also be accepted. They have to be mailed to the email id mentioned in the corresponding question papers from your registered email ID strictly before the ending time. Any submissions made after the deadline will not be accepted.
- In the registration portal, please enter your name, gender, email ID, phone number, permanent address in the mentioned format. Fill in the name of your school/college with its city in the 'College/City' tab.
- In case of any issues regarding registration, send us a mail at email@example.com.
Syllabus and Sample Papers
For the complete syllabus and sample papers, please visit brilliant.org/STEMS/
Prizes and Interactive Camp
We shall select exceptional performers from across the country for a three day interactive camp at CMI, to be held after Tessellate. The camp will feature some of the best Mathematicians, Physicists and Computer Scientists from some of the best research institutes in India, like CMI, ISI Bangalore, IMSc, IISc and the IIT's, etc. The complete list of speakers shall be uploaded soon. We shall provide travel fare, food and accomodation for the selected participants.
Students from all age groups will have fair representation. It promises to be a great opportunity for the students to interact with CMI-ites and get an insight about college mathematics and college life(probably in that order, though). The camp shall also feature student talks from students of the aforementioned institutes. They shall also receive certificates signed by some of the best mathematicians of the country, books and other prizes. The top 100 participants shall receive certificates of participation.
How to Apply
Registrations are now over.